Most people are aware of the idea of losing weight, exercising, and eating healthy to improve your overall health, and these are certainly actions that everyone should look into and implement into their lives. But there is an additional action that you can choose to take that some people consider “radical,” but which could have some very real health benefits for you. This action is:
You may have heard the term detoxification in relation to your health. Maybe you are familiar with the term; maybe you are just curious as to what it is and what it can do for you.
Fortunately, the reasons to detoxify your body are pretty straightforward. Some reasons to detox are:
- Low physical energy
- Weight loss
- To control cravings
Other reasons are to:
- Boost your immune system
- Improve how your skin looks
- Improve mental and emotional clarity.
The question is, then, how to detoxify. Many ways exist to help your body eliminate toxins and other harmful substances from the body. Here are a few detox methods that Jan Edwards recommends to accelerate your body’s natural toxin and waste elimination functions (along with our commentary):
- Eat lots of vegetables, especially those with deep colors, and add herbs and algae into your diet. The darker the vegetable, typically the more antioxidants in the vegetable which your body can use to fight and eliminate free radicals in your system. Also, darker vegetables tend to have more of an alkaline pH which can be very helpful in counteracting the overly acidic standard western diet. Herbs and algae can add additional nutrients to your diet that you do not typically get enough of.
- Fast with lemon water, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup. Fasting with water can help give your digestive system a rest. The extra water helps your kidneys flush toxins out of the blood that have built up over time. Cayenne pepper has a reputation of cleansing the blood. Maple syrup can give you a a few calories without taxing the digestive system. A warning note: not everyone handles cayenne pepper well, and some people experience stomach discomfort and acid reflux as a result of ingesting cayenne pepper. Be aware of this and dial down your dose if it is too much. You may need to work your way up to larger amounts in your fasting diet.
- Sleep. This will, undoubtedly, be the favorite detox plan for many people. Your body naturally goes into a detoxification cycle when you sleep, however, our Western culture seems to undervalue sleep, and too many people get too few hours. Edwards writes,
“Without proper and sufficient sleep, detoxification organs don’t get the full recharge they need to function at optimal levels. Aim for 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night, in a dark, noiseless environment for optimal results.”
Now that you know some detoxification options (and how simple some of them really are), we recommend that you consider making detoxification a regular part of your health regime.
What ways do you detoxify your body? Share them below.